Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

I'm a Big Girl Now!!

You know how you always refer to things in the future as "when I grow up"??
 
Well, with 30 approaching rather quickly, I suppose "when I grow up" may not be so far in the future!
 
So, Adam and I have been discussing doing something that we see as for "big people".
 
And before you all thing I am talking babies, houses, cars, etc., I will stop you now!  Besides, we have already done all that!
 
I am talking something SUPER exciting and something we spent a LOT of time working on.......
........NEW FURNITURE!!!!
 
Yes, many of you are like "Seriously???  Everybody has furniture....".
 
Well, we have NEVER had furniture that is NEW and that WE picked out......until now!
 
I take that back....we did pick out our bedroom set when we got married.
 
But, for the rest of the house, we have had either college leftovers (waaaaaay cheap and mismatched) or hand-me-downs from our parents.
 
And do not get me wrong, the hand-me-downs are a rite of passage almost.  They were certainly appreciated since otherwise, we wouldn't have had any furniture! 
 
So, now that we are "grown up", we went shopping and picked out things we really wanted and that fit our lifestyle and preference.
 
Here is how it started........
 


 
We started putting things up on Craig's List, and things started flying out!
 
We were super excited, like it was meant to be!! 
 
Once everything was out, we took the opportunity to steam clean the carpets.
 
I would LOVE new carpet, but since my money tree seems to be in hibernation, we had to settle for making do with what we have.
 
The stairs up from the front door have ALWAYS been an issue for me......they are WHITE!!!!
 
Who puts white carpet on stairs that are in front of the front door....in Duluth?!!
 
Here is the "before"....and the first impression anyone had when coming into our home:
 
 
Gross!!!! 
 
So, after some major cleaning and scrubbing.....
 
......this is what the living room looks like: 
 
And THIS is how the stairs turned out: 
 
Absolutely not perfect, but SOOOOO much better!!
 
Carpet is still on my list, but as long as the stairs stay as close to this as possible, I can wait a bit longer!
 
So.....now that everything is clean, we were ready for the new stuff!!
 
Adam has always wanted a TV up in the living room, so we started there.
 
The TV came from the daycare I helped out at, which had closed. 
 
The table was a clearance item at Target....and with a coupon and some good luck, we practically STOLE it!!
 
Then came the rest of the furniture....
The tables were what I fell in love with first.....

 
And the rest just came together like a dream! 

 
I am still looking for a chair to replace the recliner....something fun and patterned, but smaller than the recliner.  We will see.....
 
So, while we were shopping for upstairs, Adam was looking for downstairs.
 
He has always wanted a "man couch" to go down there with his "man chair". 
 
So.....we said goodbye to this couch that had been loved, chewed, spilled on, smooshed, and drooled on.
 
And said Hello to this new one:
 
Goes with the "man chair"....
 
And fits in well with all the kid's toys.... 
 
Now, I know I said this was like being a "grown up"...... and there are days I think we are grown ups, but for the most part, I know we are still just big kids pretending we know what we are doing!
 
But at least when we DO grow up, we will have nice furniture to go with it!! 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment